Friday, February 23, 2007

I have Health Watch, which is basically the same thing as Life line. I wear
the pendant on my neck constantly. It's waterproof, so you can wear it in
the shower (they way that's where a lot of their people have falls, which
makes sensse). Since I live alone, I find it very reassuring. I get a
reduced rate because I was referred by the county Social Services
department, though they don't pay for it. My mother does. I think it is
reassuring for her, too. She used to panic if I didn't return her phone
messages immediately and even showed up at my door once or twice, though she
is over an hour away. It drives me nuts sometimes that no matter how
exhausted I am I have to pick up the phone when she calls or return her
messages right away so that she doesn't panic. I don't think it would annoy
me as much if I hadn't spent my entire life taking care of her needs and
often not even recognizing that I needed things, too, but it is what it is.
Severe illness doesn't make family issues go away. It brings them into
sharper focus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home