Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Comments on BIOMARK Article

"Stephen Meyer"
Subject: Comments on BIOMARK Article

Steve - You have a newspaper article about a woman with MS - Jan
Wilkes in England. I searched the web for her and it looks like she
went to BioMark, which uses umbilical cord stem cells. I
investigated this place with our neurologist, the web, and
inquiries, re my husband's stroke - when I actaully had a one-on-one
phone interview,BioMark's "Doctor" of many degrees of which she
won't tell me of what, could NOT answer my questions.

In fact, here is the response to my neurologist after she reviewed
the "Scientific" documentation BioMark sent me:

"My thoughts: The Duke study has used cord blood to form cells that
differentiated into brain or heart cells, which hopefully will be
shown capable of producing enzymes/proteins that were missing in the
recipient. For example, the Duke studies showed that a particular
missing chemical could be produced by the cord cells- in a test
tube. This has not yet been done in a human, as per this report.
While very amazing and a huge step- I think this is many steps
removed from the transplanted cells replacing the full function of
missing brain cells (like in stroke). The Biomark company suggests
cord blood may treat neurodegenerative conditions- which usually
involve missing chemicals. I do not consider stroke a
neurodegenerative condition (in contrast to the biomark profile,
which lists many non-degenerative conditions in their list). Stroke
involves the complete (but static, not progressive) destruction of
many many cell types- all of which need "replacement" in an ideal
ther! apy. The evidence here provides not even a suggestion of this
kind of effect.

I would not advise a cord transplant in the absence of some studies
suggesting efficacy in stroke. However- participation in such
studies may be very reasonable.

Sorry for my skepticism- I cannot mislead you with false hope."

This is from some googling about Jan WIlks and her miracle cure that
I found googling - and believe me, if I thought this were true -
Michael and I would be on the Concord to England and Holland.

From:
http://www.bnn-online.co.uk/comments_display.asp?
HeadlineID=1213&Year=2005
"Stem cell therapy by biotechnology company Biomark is Mrs Wilks's
only hope."

Linda M. Roberts
linduhland@yahoo.com
www.wistemcellnow.org


>From your Sunday, July 24th email list:

Subject: Stem cell therapy helps MS sufferer--THE ADVERTISER

Stem cell therapy helps MS sufferer
By ADAM POWELL in London
THE ADVERTISER
23jul05

A MOTHER crippled by multiple sclerosis is walking again after
controversial treatment at a clinic in Holland.

Jan Wilks relied on a wheelchair after being diagnosed five years
ago with the wasting disease which destroys the nervous system.

But after raising $31,000 for experimental treatment involving
injections of stem cells she was able to stand up, then take a few
steps.

"The best moment was when my little boy! looked at me, burst into
tears, and said `Mummy, you can walk'," said Mrs Wilks, 45, at home
in Liverpool yesterday.

The improvement has continued and she is now beginning to lead a
normal life with husband Paul, 40, and sons Daniel, 12, and four-
year-old Reece.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home